Monday, July 04, 2011
I slept in for the first time. Wonderful. I decided to go back to the hutong by Tiananmen Square to do some shopping. I discovered that behind the “modern” buildings are several alleyways which have more of a neighborhood feel. I came across the silk shop that has been there since the Tang Dynasty and a place that had been making handmade shoes for even longer. I also found a kite shop for you, Sharon! As I made my way back to the hotel, I found a local shopping mall, with a large section of beauty salon products, from wigs to color to scissors to chairs and gowns and the special lights that go outside, kinda like a barber pole in black and white. It was great.
I have to pack tonight. I have really enjoyed this trip on many levels. I’ve seen some beautiful places, met some wonderful people and a lot of delicious meals. China was nothing like I expected – so modern and so ancient, so friendly and so distant, so polite and so pushy. I’ve played with babies and petted small dogs, while their owners and parents beamed. I have even been asked to have my picture taken with some Chinese families – I guess I look exotic? I would like to spend more time in Beijing and Xian and Langer’s descriptions of his area in the west sounded very interesting. I’ve made new friends to visit in New Zealand. Right now I am not sure where to go next, but Chris is interested in Vietnam and Laos, so maybe next year.
I am not sad about going home, which is a first for me. I’m tired and -- should I say? -- would like to be in a crowd where I know what people are saying! And it will be nice to be where pedestrians have SOME right of way. I know wanderlust will hit me soon and I can’t wait to see where I go next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment