Monday, July 28, 2008

Ellen's socks

I did not know what I was undertaking when Ellen asked for socks for her birthday. I started a pair 6 months before her birthday, with some fabulous yarn I got on Little Knits. It is Austermann Step, with aloe and jojba in the yarn! It was great to work with, but as I got onto making the foot, they seemed really small. I stopped mid foot and spent the Fourth of July weekend trying something else.

First I thought about the Mary Jane Skimmers pattern, but every sole I made turned out some other size.




I tried several times -- even rewrote the pattern in case I was following it wrong, but nope! It wasn't working.

I tried some bedroom slippers I saw in One Skein Wonders by Judith Durant with Ellen's favorite yarn in the world, Noro Kureyon #185. As I was finishing the last one, I just didn't like the way they looked. So sloppy.



I finally made the Mixed Berry pattern in the 2-at-a-time Socks book, and, although I thought they came out huge, they would have to do -- Ellen's birthday was the next day!!

She liked the socks, but I could tell she would be really happy with the original socks I started.

I finished the feet of the Austermann Step socks and gave them to her yesterday. They fit her perfectly and, as I thought, she was thrilled.




She asked if she could keep the first pair, too, and, of course, I said yes. She really made out in the sock department this year!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

The socks are sooo nice!
You were really working the sock patterns. Nice work.

Ellen Bloom said...

Wow! I had no idea I stressed you out so much. Sorry! I love both pairs of socks!!!! Thank you. I can't wait for the weather to get colder so I can wear the chunky monkeys! I have the Austermann Steps on today and they feel great.

Alyson said...

I know how much work went into those socks! Great job MaryJo. Everyone loves a handmade gift!

mj said...

Ellen--it was a labor of love. No stress involved. Just a lot of fun. You're oh so welcome.

Madge said...

What a great friend you are! And wow, such a saga...I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose artistic vision must be appeased knitwise or the gift doesn't get gifted. *hee* Kudos for sticking to yer guns; the socks are fab!

LadyLinoleum said...

Ellen's socks turned out fabulous!